Monday, April 29, 2013

Understanding The Saga's: Voluspo (Section 1)

As promised I've decided to tackle the Saga's and I'm starting with the Voluspo. I don't know how long this project is going to take, but I'm determined to understand it more. So once a week I'm going to be adding a section and trying to figure out what the section means. Here's this week's section.

Hearing I ask from the holy races,
From Heimdall's sons, both high and low;
Thou wilt, Valfather, that well I relate
Old tales I remember of men long ago.

Okay, so what does the wise woman mean by this? Looking at it I believe that she's saying that she remembers all the tales, that she hears them, and that she understands what is to come. She's stating that she's before the gods and thus she knows about how things were. I also think that this opening section is meant to grab Odin's attention.

So I'm hoping that during the week someone comes and explains what they think the section means and how does it set things up for the rest of the tale.

HAIL ODIN!!!! HAIL THOR!!!! HAIL LOKI!!!! HAIL FRIGGA!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment